Consumers can do a number of things right now to make their transactions more secure, including:
- Request PIN on your credit card. Most major U.S. banks do not offer PIN on credit cards to make purchases, but asking for it will show that there is a consumer demand.
- Ask your credit card company to enable alerts for certain spending thresholds
- Ask your credit card company about dual-factor authentication methods (like text or email)
- Be aware of phishing emails that can compromise your sensitive personal information
- Monitor your transactions and accounts for any suspicious activity
- Create strong and unique passwords
- Keep your device software up to date